Frog Pond's first game convention
On February 15th, 2003 we took Frog Pond to UberCon
in Parsippany, NJ. The Special Guests of Honor were Steve
Jackson and Phil
We demoed Frog Pond to a few groups of people. The
love of trying new games is a huge factor in attending conventions like
these. Each group had the same reaction...
1) Enthusiasm at trying a new game,
2) Doubt when I told them my 9 year old son designed the game,
3) Eyes rolled a little when I detailed the rules about Frogs
Leaping and Lily Pads Sinking,
4) (at this point I explained that we could go through a few turns and if
it wasn't their sort of game, I wouldn't have any hard feelings if they
left and did something else),
5) Concentration After about the third turn, each group
started getting into the strategies and planning of the game. The
theme took a backseat to the strategy.
One group played with 3- and 4-player variants (coming
soon, I hope) and another rotated players between themselves. Sean
was very happy with the response and I was, too. Thanks to all who
demoed the game for us.
On another note: Special thanks to Steve and Sandy
Hess, Board Game Coordinators for Gazebo of Games (www.wildgazebo.com).
The attention and respect they gave to this young game designer left
an impression that will stay with him forever.
the Pond...No one can hear you Croak!